Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Slightly different (alternative 15 sided biscornu)

While I was off work last week, I finished off my biscornu using the blackwork designs from Anita at Stitch Creations. I still finished it as a kind of 15 sided biscornu, but slightly different!


P3111085

Following this idea, I attached the top on a different orientation - very simply but a very different result!

I've stitched it on 32ct Vintage Blue Zweigart linen using DMC 3840 (I think) - I should maybe have used a darker blue floss, but I still like it as it is. The beads are Mill Mill seed and pebble beads.

The way to make this kind of shape is very similar to making the more rounded 15 sided biscornu.
  • Stitch your 15 squares, all the same size.
  • DSCF0395

  • Join 5 together to for the top and another 5 for the bottom - you will have 5 left for the sides. Join the five sides to either the top or the bottom - this will give you a kind of bowl shape.
  • I realised something at this point that I could do to illustrate the difference between the two kinds of 15 sided biscornu -

    For the 'normal' rounded version, join the 'peaks' of the flattish side to the 'valleys' of the bowl.
    DSCF0413

    For the alternative version, join the 'peaks' of the flattish side to the 'peaks' of the bowl.
    DSCF0412

    Remember to leave a gap to stuff your biscornu and then sinish stitching together. I found the final stitching together a bit more awkward for this alternative version than previously. Of course, it didn't help that it wasn't until I had finished sewing it all together that I decided to add the beads to the top!

I hope this sense - just the simple change in the orientation of the top makes a complete difference to the final item!

Slightly different


My original 15 sided biscornu tutorial with more detailed instructions can be found here.

28 comments:

Kitty said...

That's really, REALLY pretty! x

Julie said...

Cool, how clever, i like them all in a tower, very effective Lesley.

Lynn S. said...

Hey! GREAT job and another good idea for those little beauties! Working on my very first two biscornu's because of your blog and tutorials! Thanks so much for sharing!

Annie said...

Interesting variation. Kind of looks like a crown. Great finishing job!

Yoyo said...

What a clever clever idea. That is totally cute!!

Einschies blog said...

Great idea to finish it that way....I have already stitched 5 squares and can´t wait to start sewing mine together;-))

Gaby

Jen said...

Really, really interesting. What a great shape.

Kathy A. said...

Well, now you have outdone yourself. I did not think there was another way to pretty up a stitch. Very nice job

Paula said...

Really, really pretty stitching.

Irene said...

Great idea, love the look.

Solstitches said...

How pretty! I've seen this shape on a quilting blog (using just fabric) but think your stitched version is so much nicer.
Beautiful stitching and finishing!

Margaret

Front Range Stitcher said...

Clever, very clever finishing! Love the stack of biscornu too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great idea. It is a little flower now. I did see many different biscornu's with this design, but yours is very different ;o)
Greetings Anita
stitch-creations.blogspot.com

Autumn said...

That's great!!

Anonymous said...

I love the new way of assembling a 15 sided biscornu - makes it look like a starfish ^^
beautiful work !

Sally said...

Wow what a fantastic idea and it looks so pretty!

When I look at your blog in Firefox I can see your followers at the bottom. Looking at it in IE the header for followers is in the side bar but I can't see them! Seems strange.

Karoline said...

It's gorgeous Leslie, congratulations

Anonymous said...

How very nice! I really love the way it turned out. I will have to give it a try one day. Thanks so much for taking the time to present a tutorial.

Lynn B said...

Lesley your biscornu's are fabulous, what lovely finishes!

Karin said...

Great job in finishing the biscornu!

Brigitte said...

Julie, what a creative idea you had. This way of assembling looks like the top of a flower. Very nice!

Brigitte said...

Sorry for using the wrong name, I meant to say LESLEY.

Maren said...

What a neat design! It looks like a flower opening up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the idea I'll be sure to try this. Hafrun Asta

Habibi said...

This is a lovely biscornu.
Thank you for the instructions.

sed451 said...

Now that is a neat idea. It definitely goes in my list of to-dos. I made a set of smalls for my 13-yr-old granddaughter, who has started cross stitching. It started with some forget-me-not Jacquard ribbon, so the forget-me-nots were the theme through the set. I can make her that pin cushion to add to the group.

IvyRose said...

I am just about to attempt my first 15 sided Biscornu, and i would just like to say thank you for showing how it's put together very helpful indeed :)

lubyemy38 said...

trop trop beau biz